Are you in a jolly mood?
In a miserable mood? Does the news depress you? Is the weather getting you down? Does this lift your mood:
Deck the halls with boughs of holly, fa la la la, la la la la la
Oh, so you’ve not got a hall and you’ve seen the price of holly.
‘Tis the season to be jolly, fa la la la etc
You’ve nothing to be jolly about? Really? Be ready for jollity to descend on you, like it or not. Like this:
Jingle bells, jingle bells, jingle all the way,
You can’t stand the mindless jingles they play in supermarkets, precincts and lots of other places. Try a church. Some of them play decent music and it’s usually got meaningful words.
Oh what fun it is o ride on a one-horse open sleigh!
No. I’ve no idea what it’s like to ride in a one-horse open sleigh and I certainly can’t say I’d find it FUN. Find something you’d prefer, like watching old movies or reading Sunday supplements. Whatever.
Are you in a generous mood?
Christmas is coming, the goose is getting fat
Not keen on goose? Prefer turkey? Well, Christmas is coming anyway. You can’t say nobody’s warned you. It’s been coming since before Guy Fawkes Day, according to the shops. Get ready.
Please put a penny in the poor man’s hat?
I know! You’re fed up with charity appeals and if you put a penny in every poor man’s hat you came across, you’d end up broke and joining them. Be fair. You’re not as badly off as a lot of people. Spare something to give to someone or some charity. You must agree with some good causes, surely?
Are you in a thoughtful mood?
Are you in the mood for a proper Christmas carol?
While shepherds watched their flocks by night, all seated on the ground, the Angel of the Lord came down and glory shone around,
You don’t buy into all this angels, glory, wise men, virgins and all that? Not too keen on shepherds anyway? Can’t even give it the benefit of the doubt? Have you tried looking beyond the imagery at the real story?
Glad tidings of great joy I bring to you and all mankind.
Nothing to bring you joy in the angel’s message? Does the birth of Jesus not give you cause to rejoice? The carol, and the Bible, says “all mankind” – this great joy is not just for Christians.
How about these reasons to get into the right mood:
- For a Christian…enough said already.
- For a Jew: Jesus was Jewish and lived in Israel. He is the most famous and popular Jew ever. Whatever has been done in his name, he loved his fellow-countrymen.
- For a Moslem: Jesus/Iesu is a person revered in Islam. “The Spirit of God”. Is his birth not a cause for celebration, even if you don’t accept him as more than that?
- For a Hindu: is not Jesus one of the religious figures you worship? Is his birth not cause for celebration, even if you can’t accept his uniqueness?
- For a humanist: are Jesus’ teachings not important? Are they not the basis for a lot of good deeds? Can you not celebrate his birth as that of an important historical figure, even if you deny his divinity?
- For anyone who doesn’t give a **** about any of that: well, OK – it’s as good an excuse for a party as any other. Make the most of it!
Whatever your mood, remember: Christmas IS coming. Enjoy it. Get into the mood!